Meet Christian Author & Speaker, Nancy Avera
I Exist to…
Speak the word of God with knowledge, love, passion and conviction.
Encourage people in their faith journey.
Demonstrate that God can heal the broken-hearted and transform lives, restoring His children to a place of genuine joy.
Challenge others to work through their emotional wounds by relying on God’s word, the counsel of the Holy Spirit and healthy Christian relationships.
Authenticity (Honest dialogue).
Growing in Christ (Sanctification).
An every increasing understanding of God.
All types of prayer
- Interactive prayer (God wants to speak to us)
- Listening prayer (The transforming power of God through His Holy Spirit)
- Using God’s authority (Addressing the enemy through verbally asserting God’s promises).
Solitude & Silence
We must rely on the counsel of the Holy Spirit through quieting our body, mind and spirit to be transformed by our Holy God.
Nancy earned a degree in Advertising from San Jose State University. Shortly after graduation, she began a successful career in marketing communication and corporate training. Nancy would later receive her Master’s Degree in Mass Communication and Journalism from Fresno State University and go on to teach interpersonal communication and public speaking at the college level.
While in college Nancy became a follower of Christ and met her husband, Kal. The couple were married in 1992 and moved to Central California. Shortly after they wed, they began to minister as foster parents in Fresno, California. Over an 8-year period, they fostered 13 adolescent boys, one whom they adopted. In 1999, Nancy gave birth to the first of three boys Ben, Will, and KJ who were welcomed by oldest brother Michael.
As a survivor of incest, Nancy knew early in her Christian life that God would restore the painful things of her childhood and use her to encourage and teach others about God’s love and grace. She has done so at NorthPointe Community Church where the Avera family has attended for more than 20 years. Door of Hope began in 2005 as a Bible study and support group for women who were sexually abused as children. Nancy leads women through this intensive study of God’s word that helps them overcome their past hurt and see themselves as God created them to be.
In 2008, Nancy began serving alongside Pastor Mike Navarro at Celebrate Recovery where she teaches the international curriculum created by Saddleback Church in Southern California. She also travels throughout Central California to share her story of God’s redemption and power, encouraging others that God never wastes a hurt and that He can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. She is a regular speaker at women’s retreats, along with various women’s events. Nancy leads Bible studies and is an active participant in multiple prayer teams.
Nancy communicates with tremendous energy, humor, warmth, and grace. She is passionate about prayer and encouraging people in their faith journey.
In this personal message of hope, Nancy Avera describes her journey from being a corporate Marketing Executive to crashing into deep depression and paralyzing anxiety. She shares how God revealed that the unresolved pain of her childhood was impacting her life as a wife, mother, executive, and child of God.
With passion and grace, Nancy discusses how God continues to transform her thoughts, beliefs, and actions. She shares how God uses prayer, the counsel of the Holy Spirit and the support of her husband and friends to bring her to the place of peace and confidence in Christ.
A Few of My Favorite Things…
- Favorite kind of music? Worship, of course. Jesus Culture. Hillsong. Bethel. Phil Wickham. Ok, I still love to rock out to 1980s modern rock…U2, REM, Depeche Mode.
- Food? Sushi
- Scripture? Genesis 50:20 (ESV): “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good…”
- Place? Our 100-year-old family cabin in Wyoming where we enjoy freedom from the world’s distractions as we hike, connect, cook on a wood-burning stove and enjoy life together!
- Favorite people? My husband and four boys!
What do you like to do for fun?
- Watch my boys play sports.
- Drink coffee with my hubby.
- Talk about things of God. Teach.
- Create beautiful things.
- Coffee, tea or soda? Dark, bold coffee with half and half, thank you very much.
- Coast, city or mountains? The beach makes me happy.
- Morning or night? I use to be a night owl, but now I love the peace and stillness that morning provides.